If you’re a small business on Instagram, it’s likely you’re looking to grow and reach more customers. At Slam Media, we’ve helped small businesses grow their Instagram followers to hundreds of thousands with our strategy, which includes using the right hashtags to show up in the Reels and Shop tabs. When we partner with our clients – they always ask: “What are Instagram hashtags should we use for small businesses?”
The answer is – it depends on who you are and who you target?
In this article, we’ll dive into popular small business Instagram hashtags you can apply for your organization, and how you can make the most of it! And while we are at it, we’ll share multiple resources and tips!
How to Use the Right Instagram Small Business Hashtag?
As a small business on Instagram, hashtags and tags can play a big role in helping you reach your community and grow your account, because it’ll help show it to strangers on the Reels or Hashtag tab.
Here are some tips on how to effectively use hashtags on Instagram:
- Research relevant hashtags: Start by researching popular and relevant hashtags within your industry or niche. You can use tools like Hashtagify or Keyhole to find the most popular hashtags and see how they are being used.
- Create a brand-specific hashtag: Create a unique hashtag for your business, and encourage your followers to use it when sharing or commenting on your content. This helps to build brand recognition and makes it easier for others to discover your content.
- Use a mix of hashtags: Mix and match your hashtags, using a combination of popular, niche-specific, and brand-specific hashtags in each post. This will help to increase your visibility and reach a wider audience.
- Keep it relevant: Only use hashtags that are relevant to your post and your business. Avoid using irrelevant or spammy hashtags, as this can negatively impact your credibility.
- Limit the number of hashtags: Instagram allows you to use up to 30 hashtags per post, but using too many is spammy and detract from the quality of your content. We recommend using between 5 hashtags per post for best results.
Best Small Hashtags for Instagram Small Business
The following Instagram hashtags for small businesses are used in posts and are not specific to an industry. This is ranked by how popular they are. Data is as of January 19th, 2023.
- #smallbusiness (110M posts)
- #shoplocal (78.3M posts)
- #supportsmallbusinesses (61.2M posts)
- #smallbusinessowner (22.3M posts)
- #smallbiz (7.3M posts)
- #smallbusinesssuport (5.9M posts)
- #smallbusinessstarturday (3M posts)
- #smallbusinesses (2.4M posts)
- #smallbusinesslove (2.2M posts)
- #smallbusinessowners (2.1M posts)
- #smallbusinesstips (1.4M posts)
- #smallbiztips (615K posts)
- #shoplocally (611K posts)
- #smallbizlife (609K posts)
- #smallbusinessgrowth (486K posts)
- #smallbusinesswomen (481K posts)
- #supportsmallbusinessowners (437K posts)
- #smallbizsquad (449K posts)
- #smallbusinesshelp (323K posts)
- #smallbusinessbranding (238K posts)
- #shoplocalbusiness (225K posts)
- #smallbizclub (168K posts)
Instagram Tags for Small Businesses
Are Instagram tags important for your small business? That might depend on the industry and who you’re tagging! Is it a collaborator, someone decently famous, or someone whose audience is always stalking their tagged section? Who knows.
At Slam, we’ve seen companies use Instagram tags and work! Our strategy involves a combination of brand-specific tags, related account tags, and industry-related hashtags. By using these tags, you’re notifying the people you’re tagging, which means you can get them to re-share or show them you want to collaborate.
Take this example of a reel we did when Taylor Swift launched her latest album Midnight. We broke down why she’s such a marketing wizard an how that impacted her streams and sold-out stadiums. We tagged Taylor and accounts run by Swifties who love seeing great content about her! This is a win-win situation. We were able to get tens of thousands of people to interact with our channel!
Small Business Instagram Content Tips and Ideas
As a small business owner, we understand the difficulties of promoting your brand while juggling multiple priorities. While you may not have the financial resources for extensive advertising efforts, there are still ways to spread awareness about your business through Instagram and TikTok.
To maximize the impact of your efforts, consider incorporating these small business ideas for your Instagram channel:
- Highlight your products: Showcase the products or services you offer, and give your followers a glimpse into what makes your offerings unique.
- Offer a behind-the-scenes look: Give your followers a glimpse into the inner workings of your business. Share footage of the daily operations, or give them a sneak peek of upcoming projects.
- Display your brand personality: Use Instagram to showcase the personality of your brand. Share your values, mission, and what sets you apart from the competition.
- Share your story: Let your followers know who you are and why you started your business. This can help to build a personal connection and foster a sense of community with your followers.
Liked this? Read our full guide on Instagram strategy for small businesses. Want to partner with us to grow your Instagram? Sign up to our newsletter to get FREE Instagram tips and marketing resources for small businesses.
If you’d like to get a free 30-minute consultation, book below!